Teach through a text: using a quality book-based approach to construct and deliver teaching sequences for the English PoS in the National Curriculum
DateTue, 5th March, 2019
Time9:30 am - 3:30 pm
LocationSt William’s Primary School, William’s Loke, Norwich
(plus 20% VAT - VAT Reg.No: 188 0821 84)
Aim: To provide the opportunity for subject leaders and class teachers to:
• engage with a variety of quality texts to engage and motivate readers and writers
• plan a sequence of work,
• consider how book – based units might be integrated in the whole school curriculum for English.
By the end of this course participants will have:
• considered the role of quality texts within the English PoS;
• investigated how to use a book-based approach to plan teaching and learning
• walked through a teaching sequence (provided) based around a quality text;
• explored how to plan for purpose and audience;
• explored how to integrate and embed reading, writing and grammar objectives;
• explored how to support learners as the unit builds towards engaging written outcomes.
£160.00 for 1 and £300 for 2 places
Course name:Teach through a text: using a quality book-based approach to construct and deliver teaching sequences for the English PoS in the National Curriculum
Date:Tue, 5th March, 2019
Time:9:30 am - 3:30 pm
Location:St William’s Primary School, William’s Loke, Norwich
Price:£160.00 (Plus 20% VAT – VAT Reg.No: 188 0821 84)
Please ensure you add all delegate names in the 'Delegate Name(s)' field below. We would appreciate if you can also check you have correctly entered all address fields.
Chris is a highly regarded independent literacy and ﬁlm education consultant. For thirteen years she was a Literacy Consultant for CfBT Education Services, Lincolnshire, responsible for delivering high quality primary consultancy. In the East Midlands she delivered school improvement programmes and bespoke support in phonics, speaking and listening, drama, poetry, reading, creative writing, grammar, integrated technologies and ﬁlm education. She is a national KS2 Writing moderator and has experience at KS1 and 2 moderating reading, writing and mathematics. She became an accredited local consultant for school improvement in 2010. Chris works for several TSAs delivering CPD on their SCITT and NQT programmes. She was a class teacher and then deputy head teacher in a large multi-cultural school in Slough, where she led the introduction of the National Literacy Strategy across Slough schools. She has written a suite of intervention programmes for KS2 in grammar and spelling, and written for Harper Collins (Treasure House series).
Chris became a British Film Institute (BFI) lead practitioner in 2004 and has led a ﬁlm education programme in Lincolnshire for 7 years. It has been nationally recognised for its positive impact on raising standards in KS1 and 2 reading and writing. She currently coordinates an international ﬁlm programme for primary children on behalf of the BFI.