Talk – Less Teaching: Practice, Participation and Progress
DateThu, 13th June, 2019
Time9:30 am - 3:30 pm
LocationSt William’s Primary School, William’s Loke, Norwich
(plus 20% VAT - VAT Reg.No: 188 0821 84)
Talk-Less Teaching – A mode of teaching which maximises opportunities for learners to contribute to classroom dialogue as well as participate actively in lessons.
High quality Teacher Talk can be a powerful tool and we should concern ourselves with the quality of this. Talk-Less Teaching is about responsive teaching and above all, the importance of ‘knowing thy impact’ (John Hattie) while you teach, rather than waiting to discover the impact when you take the books in !
Talk-Less Teaching techniques provide a vast bank of exciting, engaging, practical solutions for the aspects of classroom teaching which John Hattie cites as having the greatest impact on pupil progress, allowing learners to access and understand complex topics and skills, without relentlessly bending their ears.
The day will provide practical strategies for:
• Maximising opportunities for learners to contribute to classroom dialogue as well as participate actively in lessons.
• Reducing poor-quality teacher talk which can lead to inattention and restlessness in learners.
• Helping the teacher to ascertain essential information during a lesson about the understanding of learners.
• Gathering feedback from learners about their progress during lessons so that a teacher can assess the impact of his/her teaching as he/she teaches.
• Adapting to the emerging needs of learners as the lesson unfolds.
• Getting active participation from all learners with a “no passengers” approach to classroom instruction.
• Encouraging learners to be self-reliant, self-reflective and proactive rather than over-relying on the teacher or being habitual passive recipients of learning.
£160 for 1 place, £300 for 2 places
Course name:Talk – Less Teaching: Practice, Participation and Progress
Date:Thu, 13th June, 2019
Time:9:30 am - 3:30 pm
Location:St William’s Primary School, William’s Loke, Norwich
Price:£160.00 (Plus 20% VAT – VAT Reg.No: 188 0821 84)
Please ensure you add all delegate names in the 'Delegate Name(s)' field below. We would appreciate if you can also check you have correctly entered all address fields.
Isabella is co-author of the best-selling, Pimp Your Lesson!: and Talk-Less Teaching. She is an award-winning teacher and AST, consultant and presents nationally and internationally on outstanding learning and teaching. She has worked at Senior Curriculum and School Governance levels, and knows exactly what’s needed to make a lesson outstanding.
Described as one of the most charismatic trainers in the UK today, Isabella’s training sessions are both practical and cutting edge. She has worked with Education Authorities to develop training on The Teaching of Literacy and its impact on all subjects and is a visiting lecturer at Lincoln University.