Talk – Less Teaching: Help students move from ‘Takeaway’ to ‘Masterchef’
DateThu, 13th June, 2019
Time9:30 am - 3:30 pm
LocationSt William’s Primary School, William’s Loke, Norwich
(plus 20% VAT - VAT Reg.No: 188 0821 84)
Most of us acknowledge that didactic, lecture-style teaching fosters a culture of passivity in pupils, where pupils have come to expect to have learning “fed” to them – to be told the answers, rather than be taught the skills to discover the answers themselves, or even consider the possibility of alternative answers. However, despite active, independent learning being a worthy concept in itself, concerns about making pupils more self-reliant have left many teachers feeling they are stuck in an impossible contradiction between building independent learning skills and cramming the content necessary to get the results that we are ultimately judged on.
What we need now is to feel confident in the TRUTH that we can improve progress and performance – yes, in tests too – by using Talk-Less Teaching™ techniques which allow learning to go far deeper than it does when it is mostly administered aurally! What we need are exciting, engaging, practical ways to allow learners to access and understand complex topics and skills without relentlessly bending their ears.
The day will provide practical strategies for:
• Maximising opportunities for learners to contribute to classroom dialogue as well as participate actively in lessons.
• Reducing poor-quality teacher talk which can lead to inattention and restlessness in learners.
• Focusing teacher talk on effective questioning and feedback
• Helping the teacher to ascertain essential information during a lesson about the understanding of learners.
• Gathering feedback from learners about their progress during lessons so that a teacher can assess the impact of his/her teaching as he/she teaches.
• Adapting to the emerging needs of learners as the lesson unfolds.
• Getting active participation from all learners with a “no passengers” approach to classroom instruction.
• Encouraging learners to be self-reliant, self-reflective and proactive rather than over-relying on the teacher or being habitual passive recipients of learning.
• Helping learners retain knowledge in the long-term
• Clarity of presentation: presenting information to learners in a clear, concise way
• Encouraging learners to ask questions
• Making group work effective by preparing learners appropriately and structuring tasks skilfully
• Reduce workload by cutting down on resource-making and unnecessary lesson preparation
Strategies will be realistic and useable by delegates the very next day in subjects across the curriculum and in the different Key Stages.
£160 for 1 place, £300 for 2 places
Course name:Talk – Less Teaching: Help students move from ‘Takeaway’ to ‘Masterchef’
Date:Thu, 13th June, 2019
Time:9:30 am - 3:30 pm
Location:St William’s Primary School, William’s Loke, Norwich
Price:£160.00 (Plus 20% VAT – VAT Reg.No: 188 0821 84)
Please ensure you add all delegate names in the 'Delegate Name(s)' field below. We would appreciate if you can also check you have correctly entered all address fields.
Isabella is co-author of the best-selling, Pimp Your Lesson!: and Talk-Less Teaching. She is an award-winning teacher and AST, consultant and presents nationally and internationally on outstanding learning and teaching. She has worked at Senior Curriculum and School Governance levels, and knows exactly what’s needed to make a lesson outstanding.
Described as one of the most charismatic trainers in the UK today, Isabella’s training sessions are both practical and cutting edge. She has worked with Education Authorities to develop training on The Teaching of Literacy and its impact on all subjects and is a visiting lecturer at Lincoln University.